Landenberg Castle (formerly Sarnen Castle) lies on Landenberg Hill, a foothill of the Ramersberg that projects far into the valley.
In the Middle Ages the fortress was one of the largest such edifices in Central Switzerland. Little remains of its former size today. The castle was built in the early 13th century by Rudolf von Habsburg the Elder and was destroyed during Unterwald's fight for freedom in 1291.
The rifle range (Ger: Schützenhaus) and former armoury (Ger: Zeughaus) are on the castle precincts.